In Kashmir, dry fruits are a popular choice when it comes to daily snacks. The chewy flesh with natural sweet flavor is not only a treat to bite but also provides you nutrition. Be it raisins, dates, dehydrated apples and pears, there are plenty of options to choose from and mix match with other health boosters like nuts and seeds for a guilt-free treat.
Out of these, the one dry fruit that stands out for its incredible health benefiting properties is Anjeer “Fig”, a member of the mulberry family.
This small bell or pear-shaped fruit is commonly available in dried form throughout the year, but as the saying goes, there’s nothing like having it fresh.
The sweet juicy flesh loaded with crunchy seeds is an absolute delight. Fig is soft and spongy and hence used in various candies, sweet preparations, jams and jellies.
Figs from a religious perspective:
Figs are one of the oldest fruits to be cultivated by humans. Their history dates back to the times of Prophet Adam (PBUH). It is mentioned in the Bible in the Book of Genesis that Adam and Eve, covered their bodies with the leaves of the fig plant when they were expelled from paradise. Figs are also mentioned at a number of places in Al-Quran. Allah has sworn in Al-Quran by the fig because the fruit is soft and gentle and free from anything that is harmful or indigestible.
Well, after reading this write-up we are sure you will consider of adding figs to your shopping list. Here are some of the benefits that this fruit might provide you.
1.Nutritional benefits of figs :
Figs are loved for its sweet and mild flavor. This soft, green colored fruit is low in calories and has no fat. Your one raw fig has just 47 calories. So, if you’re looking to shed pounds you can switch to your Anjeer. They are also rich in fibres that can help you to alleviate constipation.
- Figs are rich in antioxidants:
If you’re hoping to add more antioxidants to your diet, you can’t go wrong with figs. Antioxidants help to prevent or stop cell damage caused by oxidants. According to research, dried figs “have superior quality antioxidants. In fact nutrition experts recommend upping your antioxidant intake by eating more fruits and vegetables like figs.
- Figs are rich in vitamins:
Figs are one of the richest plant sources of a variety of vitamins and minerals, including: vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B, potassium, magnesium, zinc, copper, manganese, iron
- Good for Your Gut: An averagely sized fig contains about 1 gm of fibre which is very important for a healthy gut. Whole figs and fig milk extracts are also excellent laxatives which prevent constipation, which is good for your gut.
- Helps to Cure Diabetes: It’s not just the fruits of this shrub that are healthy. Some evidence also suggests that the leaves of the fig shrub can help regulate diabetes symptoms. A study shows that ficusin, an extract from fig leaves, improves insulin sensitivity and has other ant diabetic properties. Besides this fig extract can contribute to diabetes treatment by normalizing blood fatty acid and vitamin E levels.
- Figs are good for skin: Fig is Kashmiri traditional medicine used to treat skin diseases such as vitiligo, eczema and psoriasis. Raw figs which are rich in antioxidants and can be used to make a rich-face mask for glowing skin. If you feel like your skin is better when you eat more figs, enjoy! Your body will thank you, and your skin might, too.
- Can make your heart healthy: Dried figs contain omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids which reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. Furthermore, the leaves of fig have a triglyceride lowering effect and have been shown to effectively reduce TG levels of blood in animal experiments. Figs contain soluble fibre pectin which helps in removal of extra cholesterol from the gut and its disposal towards the excretory system. So eat a fig daily to keep your heart happy and healthy.
- Can prevent breast cancer: Figs reduce the incidences of post-menopausal breast cancer in women, which strengthens the immune system to better defend the body against cancer cells.
- Can control hypertension: Figs contain very high potassium but low sodium levels (high Potassium/Sodium ratio) which makes them ideal for people with hypertension
- Can cure Respiratory diseases: Fig leaves contain health boosters, natural anti-oxidants, flavonoids, polyphenols and anti-allergic substances used in organic tea preparation. In fact, organic tea with fig leaf extracts is prescribed for various respiratory conditions like bronchitis, whooping cough and asthma. Figs leaf extracts can also relieve symptoms of a sore throat.
- Can help in curing fracture: Figs are a rich source of calcium which is the most important mineral for bone development and prevention of osteoporosis.